feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Aion Discussion: Flight

Labels:

As we have established, one of Aion's core gameplay elements is flight.

One thing I am absolutely SICK of hearing is "WAAAAH! But we can't fly everywhere."

Stick it.

First of all, the lack of free flight is supported in the lore. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Sprouting wings from your back does not enable you to defy gravity. Flight in Aion requires the presence of Aether to work. It's magic.

Second of all, free flight in MMOs sucks. Yeah, I said it. What you gonna do about it?

The allure of an MMO is playing in a vibrant world. A world with people in it. Go to any zone with flight in World of Warcraft and do a /who to see how many people are there. Then, try and see how many you can actually FIND.

Don't get me wrong, flight is a wonderfully convenient way to get around the world. However, it completely destroys the feeling of playing a multiplayer game.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I prefer traversing by ground. I love actually experiencing the world that the developers have worked so hard on. With flight, that "world" just becomes "distance."

So, no. You cannot fly everywhere in Aion. You can, however, fly everywhere that it's important. The Abyss is a total free-fly zone, bound only by your flight timer, and even that can be easily extended.

Stop flying. Start experiencing.

2 comments:
gravatar
Syrana said...
September 10, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

This is actually why I liked the fact that I couldn't fly in Northrend right away. It's one thing to fly around and get where I wanna go fast, but it's another to travel THRU the zones and see all there is to see.

Although, running can become a pain. I wouldn't be opposed to a ground mount in Aion, but think it's fine that flying is limited. Plus, then you have to get more creative with gliding and such.

gravatar
Spooner said...
September 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

That right there is one of the reasons I rerolled onto a PvE server for WoW so when Cataclysm comes out and I pick it up again with you guys, I won't have to deal with the pure JACKOFFERY of entire zones empty and devoid of players because they're all airborne, affraid to be ganked.

On the Aion side though, at least they're working on ground mounts, flying PvP mounts for the Abyss, and such :)

Post a Comment

Post a Comment