feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Aion Preview: Death

Labels: ,

In my last preview post, I mentioned that combat is more difficult in Aion than in many other MMOs that most are used to. You will die. It's going to happen. I'm the freaking man, and even I went down a couple times.


This is what you'll see when you die. Once again, I've used my expert image editing skills to point something out. See that little part of your experience bar that's darkened a bit? Yeah, that's the experience you lost from dying.

I know this may seem insane to some of you out there, but look at it this way. EVERY game needs some sort of penalty for death. Otherwise, why let players die at all? For example, WoW had its players lose Durability on their equipment, requiring them to spend money repairing it back. Fine, die too much and it hurts your pocket.

Now, Aion's equipment does not have Durability, so that's out. On the bright side, it's not as unforgiving as Final Fantasy XI, where your lost experience was just *poof* gone, even causing you to LOSE A LEVEL occasionally. No, in Aion, you can get your lost experience back, for a price. So, while the direct penalty for death is a loss of experience, the only lasting penalty is a loss of Kinah, Aion's currency, just like WoW.


When you enter a new town, you will usually find an Obelisk. Paying a small fee will allow you to bind your soul. After death, you will resurrect back at whichever Obelisk you are bound to. Additionally, you can purchase items called Kisks, which will serve as temporary Obelisks.


Nearby Obelisks, you will usually find a Soul Healer. For a price, they will return your lost experience.

So, yes, for someone who has not played any MMO other that World of Warcraft, Aion's death system can seem unforgiving. However, if you take a closer look at it, and compare it to other games in the genre, it fits the game it was designed for nicely.

5 comments:
gravatar
Syrana said...
September 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

"You will die. It's going to happen. I'm the freaking man, and even I went down a couple times."

LOL. You know, I haven't died yet. Then again, I'm only level 10 and was in a group most of the time. It's nice that you can buy it back for a price.... considering there isn't durability damage you have to pay to repair 'n all.

gravatar
Spooner said...
September 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

I died a lot in the CB because well, I was a Templar and hit like a limp wristed ninny. Also leaving craters in the ground.

Hot shit now though, nothing can bring me down!

gravatar
Kimberly said...
September 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

Final Fantasy was the only game that made me cry. After going from level 8 to level 7 for the third time (I was some messed up mage) I dissolved into tears.

Then I canceled my subscription.

Anyway, I've been enjoying your Aion posts even though I don't plan on playing. :)

gravatar
M said...
September 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

Oh yeah, and you're wings pop out and curl around you when you die... which really makes it sad IMO.

Not that I've ever died in anything forever.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
September 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

im currentely lvl 27 i die so much i almost considered leaving Aion , because it costs the equivelt of paying full red in wow for each time you die in aion and btw you die alot if your a gladiator and then ofcourse theres running and running and running oh and soem more runnign each time you die and then theres teleports too, the game is very demanding

Post a Comment

Post a Comment