feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Fresh Starts, Brigwynism and Why I Hate Syrana

Labels: , ,

I fail at many things.

I fail at not being completely awesome.

I fail at not being the best-looking person whenever I walk into a room.

Apparently, I also fail at quitting World of Warcraft.

A couple weeks ago, I announced that I had canceled my subscription, after several months of apathy.

Well, my account finally expires tomorrow. One small issue: I resubscribed yesterday.

What brought this about? Freaking Syrana. Her and several other bloggers had decided to form a Guild. Now, I will admit, Cataclysm has resparked a little interest in WoW for me. I always knew I'd get back into it at some point, I just wasn't expecting it to be this soon.

So, why so soon exactly? The idea of a fresh start. A new home for a new character on a new server with new friends. Despite my love for alts, I've never leveled one past 10 outside of Azjol-Nerub. So, the thought of a group of us starting fresh, without a stack of Gold in our pockets, without Heirlooms, without bloody Recruit-A-Friend was very enticing.

Now, this brings me to the concept of Brigwynism. You see, every time an expansion comes out, Brigwyn deletes his character and starts over again. Now, this may seem to be rather stupid, but I'm starting to see the appeal to it. For the last 2 expansions, and Cataclysm to follow, Blizzard overhauls large amounts of the game. New Talents, new stat usage, new Professions. For most of us, it's just click, click, click, let's-a go! However, by starting anew, Brigwyn gets to see these changes from the ground up. He gets to experience each one of them as it comes along.

How does Brigwynism affect me? Well, I've leveled about everything I want to: Warlock, Paladin, Hunter and Shaman. The other classes each have small hangups that prevent me from really getting into them. Well, starting fresh on a new server is my way to experience my classes anew. I almost wish I had done this on some of my characters previously. My Shaman was a wreck when 3.0 changed Strength to only grant 1 Attack Power instead of 2. What about my Warlock? In 4.0, he'll need Intellect. I NEVER gear for Intellect on my 'Lock. How much regearing will he need? Now, I can just roll a Worgen Warlock (say that 3 times fast) on Gilneas and really get an appreciation for how the class has changed in 4+ years.

So, to Syrana, Sideshow, Spooner and the rest of The Order, thank you. Thank you for making me realize why I fell in love with this game in the first place. This past weekend was the first time I've honestly, TRULY had fun in WoW in at least a year, probably more.

6 comments:
gravatar
Syrana said...
August 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

You are welcome... but it sounds like you don't really hate me so your title was false advertising. :P

I had a blast this weekend too and look forward to our crazy guild chats and group runs. It's going to be a whole new experience!

gravatar
Anonymous said...
August 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

I'll be doing the same - leveling a Worgen Warlock to not only experience how the old world has changed but how different Warlocks will be from when I leveled my current 2. Hopefully enough people stick around on Gilneas so we can keep the fun alive!

-Abi

gravatar
M said...
September 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

Fuu and I will probably try to catch up to the group. Starting over can be fun, I just wish I had more play time.

gravatar
Samodean said...
September 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

@Fulg I have very little, myself. That's OK, though. What's the hurry?

gravatar
Anonymous said...
September 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM  

Ha!

Syrana has a way of toying with our souls...

You aren't the 1st she has prevented from leaving the game through a bit of shard juggling...

gravatar
Syrana said...
September 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Mwuahahaha *steeples fingers* Gnomer, you just know it means everything is going according to The Plan.

;)

Post a Comment

Post a Comment