feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Shadow Complex Review

Labels: ,

I'm not much of a game downloader. I think Xbox Live Arcade is cool and all, but very few games catch my interest.

My goal for the next couple of weekends was to finish off a couple outstanding games before Ultimate Alliance 2 comes out on Sept. 15th, and the following deluge of 4th Quarter games.

Imagine my surprise when I found myself dropping 1200 Points on Shadow Complex. After reading a few reviews and watching some videos, I COULD NOT pass this game up.

For the Microsoft-Universe equivalent of $15, you're getting a better game than many $60 ones.

Shadow Complex is a side-scrolling action game in the vein of Metroid and the post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania games. The focus is on exploration and searching out upgrades for your character. You upgrade your weapon for more damage, you find special weapons that open up new parts of the map and you pick up health and ammo upgrades, as well as some nifty unlockables.

Combat is fun, effective and simple. Point your right analog stick at something you want dead, and pull the trigger. Targeting is a bit wonky when aiming at enemies in the background (it's pseudo-3D) but it doesn't detract from the overall play. The most fun aspect of the game is finding new and creative ways to take out enemies. Sneak up and knock them out or throw them off a ledge, knock a robot off the ceiling to blow them up, electrocute them by shooting out power conduits and almost anything you can imagine.

If you're dedicated and just blow through, you can complete the game in about 3 hours or so. However, exploring every nook and cranny of the map, finding the hidden items and overall enjoying what the game has to offer will clock in at around 10 hours or so. Add in multiple playthroughs for fun challenges and the mission-based Proving Grounds, and you're getting a lot of game for your buck.

I cannot recommend this game enough, and my friends are sick of me talking about it, so go get it!

2 comments:
gravatar
Sideshow said...
August 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

Cool, kept reading about it from everywhere. Think I'll take a look at it.

gravatar
Anonymous said...
August 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

I agree. I was blown away as soon as I took control of the game. The graphics and control are top notch and I felt all warm and fuzzy inside like the first time I played Castlevania 3 on the NES.

-Abi @ SW:Blog

Post a Comment

Post a Comment